Spring Growth League is on Mondays at 5:30 p.m. at Victor Ashe Park.
2019 Spring Growth League Rules of PlayGames are played under the most current USA Ultimate approved rules (i.e. 11th edition) with the following amendments:
- Games are 26 minutes long and end at the horn/whistle. The clock does not stop at any point during the game.
- There is a 2 minute half time at 12 minutes.
- There is no ultimate time in Spring Growth League. Starting late means less time to play. Games cannot exceed their scheduled time.
- There is one pull each half to start of play.
- After each goal, the scoring team will drop the disc where they scored it (‘make it-drop it’). The team that is now on offense can start with the disc where it was dropped in the end zone or walk the disc up to the goal line.
- Since there are no between-point pulls, all player substitutions are done on the fly (i.e. hockey style). To sub out of the game, you must touch hands with a teammate standing anywhere on the sideline. An illegal substitution can be called as a violation using the standard rules of ultimate.
- Six-second stall. Your count should be, "Stalling 5...6...7...8...9...10". If you mistakenly start the stall count at 1, you must restart the count at 5.
- Contested stalls come in on 8, contested fouls come in at 7.
- Each team is granted one 30 second timeout per game.
- No timeouts may be called in the last 5 minutes of any game.
End of Game Clarifications
- The half/game is over when the horn/whistle sounds to indicate the end of the half/game. If the disc is in the air at this time, the half/game is over at the end of that throw*.
- There cannot be a tie. Teams must either complete the current point (if the game is currently tied) or play one final sudden death point (if the tying score was thrown before the buzzer but caught afterward).
- *If the potentially game-tying final throw results in a defensive foul in the end-zone, the offense is given one additional throwing attempt.
- At the end of the last game, promptly gather your belongings and trash.
Pick Up Players
- If a team is not going to have enough players for their games, they may only pick up enough players to have 2 subs (6 total players). Subs must be pre-approved by the team captain and should be of similar level to the missing players.
2019 Weather PolicySafety of our players and their families is our primary concern.
- If the weather and/or roads are dangerous, we will cancel league games for the day.
- We will contact everyone by email, ideally no less than 2 hours before the event (unless in case of a last minute emergency). PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAIL REGULARLY each day of the league.
- If we can make the cancellation up by adding an extra week at the end of the season, we will. We cannot guarantee that this will be possible.
- You can also follow Knoxville Ultimate Leagues on Facebook or @KnoxUlty on Twitter for updates.
2019 Spring Growth League SummarySpring Growth League is a 6-week recreational ultimate league played outdoors on grass fields. Games are played on small fields and feature 4v4 ultimate. We believe single gender 4v4 ultimate is a great way for any level of player to grow quickly. A single gender league can be more welcoming and, with only 4 players on the field, it forces every player to get involved. The non-stop action is also a great way to get in shape.
There will be 5 divisions:
- Women’s growth (4+ teams) – teams will be randomly selected out of tiered hats
- Men’s growth (6+ teams) – teams will be randomly selected out of tiered hats
- Mixed youth (6+ teams) – must be in high school or under the age of 18 – teams will be selected by league commissioners
- Women’s advanced (2 teams) – must also play growth, teams will be selected each week
- Men’s advanced (4 teams) – must also play growth, teams will be selected in a draft
Dates and Times
Spring Growth League 2019 will run for 6 weeks, on Mondays from March 25th through April 29th. Every team will play 2 games per night/week. The growth divisions will be play 2 games at 5:30pm and 6:00pm. The youth and advanced divisions will play two games at 6:30pm and 7:00pm.
The final week will be playoffs. The top 4 teams in each league will play for the championship, the middle 4 for 5th, and the bottom 4 for 9th.
Victor Ashe Park, Bradshaw Road, Knoxville, TN
- To keep costs down, there will be no discs or shirts given out. Please bring a white and dark shirt to each game.
- $25/player for their first division
- $10/player for their second division
Registration opens March 1st and closes March 18th. Your registration is not complete until we receive payment.
The Advanced divisions are designed for players preparing for their club team tryouts or trying to play against the very best competition. Advanced players also must play in the growth division. To support that, the Advanced divisions will be restricted to anyone who has played college, club, or master's regionals or higher in the past 4 years. If you do not meet that requirement, but would also like to play in the Advanced division, you may be drafted onto a team (after paying the extra $10 fee up front). If you are not selected for the Advanced division, you will be refunded for your second division fee.